Sam Gerrans is an English writer and activist with professional backgrounds in media, strategic communications, and technologies.
He is driven by commitment to ultimate meaning, and focused on authentic approaches to revelation and realpolitik.
He is founder of Quranite.com and author of The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation where his consistent, Qur’an-centric hermeneutical methodology is applied to the text of the Qur’an in its entirety.
His principle interests are:
- The teaching and use of languages
- Strategies for authenticity and independence from conformist and authoritarian cults
- Objective virtue and meaning within solipsistic and degrading mass culture
- The Qur’an as the gateway to individual odyssey and freedom from tyranny
He is the author of The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation – a non-sectarian translation of the Qur’an into English (which may be downloaded free below). His hermeneutic method marshals reason, historical evidence, pan-textual definitions and semantic consistency to achieve a highly methodical presentation in English of the Arabic text, one unencumbered by the outcomes and dogmas which the religion of Islam assumes. The process reveals the religion of Islam as a political construct post-dating Muhammad, one neither intrinsic to his revelation nor compatible with it.
After some 15 years studying Classical Arabic, reading the Qur’an and considering its contents, he decided to make a contribution based on his findings.
His theology and worldview are predicated on the following:
- That the Qur’an is from God, complete and protected (as the Qur’an itself claims to be)
- That the religion to which Traditionalist Islam adheres is not only not native to the Qur’an, it is in obvious contradiction to both its tenor and stated objectives
- That the Qur’an holds within it clear keys to its own interpretation in the form of embedded definitions which, when applied across the totality of the text, provide results which make consistent and illuminating sense
- That the Qur’an does not promote a formulaic religion wedded to a concept of a caliphate, rather it envisages an evangelical-pietist movement focused on warning as a means of dividing society along its fundamental fault line – that of serving God or serving something else – prior to the advent of divine retribution upon those who favour the latter
- That we are at this time transitioning into world of planned and total tyranny and that populations are being morally degraded by the ruling elite
- That this trajectory is now unstoppable, and any purely political or social action on the part of the population can be only ineffectual or even counterproductive since the psychological context is fully controlled
- That majorities are irrelevant to History; real change is the product of a few active and committed individuals
- For the few active and committed individuals to become effective they need to be grounded in Eternity; that is: to become men who fear God and not merely men who fear
- That tyrannies such as the one we are facing today have been vanquished before by men of God evoking what he calls the God protocol
- That the Qur’an provides the means and the mode for those few both to sustain themselves under – and ultimately to deal with – this tyranny by evoking the God protocol
He is aware that such a worldview is fundamentally at odds with modern conditions and conditioning. He did not set out to come to such conclusions, but has simply followed the evidence where it led and feels duty-bound to follow what is – in fact – the case, rather than what he would like to be so.
Download the full Reference Edition of The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation as an e-book free!
The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation by Sam Gerrans demonstrates that the Qur’an – contrary to what Traditionalist Islam claims – may be comprehensively understood and robustly defended without recourse to later hearsay (i.e. the hadīth literature).
The reference edition of this work totals over 536,000 words. It comprises the entire Arabic text, a full parallel translation into English, 9,000 footnotes, and accompanying articles.
This project is entirely self-financed and predicated on the principle of paying it forward: giving first and trusting that good people will give back. This means the e-book – and all updates – are made available at no charge.
Readers are asked only to give back in accordance with their means if they find the author’s work valuable to them.
Right-click on the book image – or here – and Save As (PC) or ctrl+click and Save Link As (Mac).
Alternatively, just click on the book image and it will open the PDF a new window.
• Edition: 5.0 (notes)
• Size: 25 MB
• Release date: 29, December 2016
• Purchase the hardback edition
• Contribute towards the e-book
NOTE: The author’s understanding – and thus his translation – of the Qur’an is based upon that system of Qur’anic hermeneutics which is summarised and meticulously demonstrated in The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation (Reference Edition).
That system of hermeneutics includes:
• preference for definitions found within the Qur’an over those found elsewhere
• the application of detailed (fully referenced) pan-textual analysis
• the consistent enforcement of proven values across the text
• the rejection of pre-existing allegiance to claims originating in texts other than the Qur’an
The author considers engaging only those objections levelled at either his translation of particular terms or attendant exegesis which are comparably evidence-based; that is, they both demonstrate proper understanding of the system of hermeneutics employed in The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation (Reference Edition) and provide evidence superior to that which it provides – being based upon either the same system of hermeneutics, or upon one which demonstrates superior results when applied to the text as a whole.