Sam Gerrans is an English writer and activist with professional backgrounds in media, strategic communications, and technologies.
He is driven by commitment to ultimate meaning, and focused on authentic approaches to revelation and Realpolitik. He is founder of Quranite.com and author of The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation where his consistent, Qur’an-centric hermeneutical methodology is applied to the text of the Qur’an in its entirety.
His principle interests are:
- The meaning and application of languages
- Strategies for authenticity and independence from conformist and authoritarian cults
- Objective virtue and meaning within solipsistic and degrading mass culture
- The Qur’an as the gateway to individual odyssey and freedom from tyranny
After some 15 years studying Classical Arabic, reading the Qur’an and considering its contents, he decided to make a contribution based on his findings. The result is The Qur’an: A Complete Revelation – a non-sectarian translation of the Qur’an into English (free for downloaded at quranite.com). His hermeneutic method marshals reason, historical evidence, pan-textual definitions and semantic consistency to achieve a highly methodical presentation in English of the Arabic text, one unencumbered by the outcomes and dogmas which the religion of Islam assumes. The process reveals the religion of Islam as a political construct post-dating Muhammad; one neither intrinsic to his revelation nor compatible with it.
His theology and worldview are predicated on the following:
- That the Qur’an is from God, complete and protected (as the Qur’an itself claims to be)
- That Traditionalist Islam is not only not native to the Qur’an, it is in obvious contradiction to both its tenor and stated objectives
- That the Qur’an holds within it clear keys to its own interpretation in the form of embedded definitions which, when applied across the totality of the text, provide results which make consistent and illuminating sense
- That the Qur’an does not promote a formulaic religion wedded to a concept of a caliphate; rather it envisages an evangelical-pietist movement focused on warning as a means of dividing society along its fundamental fault line – that of serving God or serving something else – prior to the advent of divine retribution upon those who favour the latter
- That we are at this time transitioning into world of planned and total tyranny, and that populations are being morally degraded by the ruling elite
- That the trajectory towards tyranny is now unstoppable, and any purely political or social action on the part of the population can be only ineffectual or even counterproductive since the psychological context is fully controlled
- That majorities are irrelevant to History; real change is the product of a few active and committed individuals
- For the few active and committed individuals to become effective they need to be grounded in Eternity; that is: to become men who fear God and not merely men who fear
- That tyrannies such as the one we are facing today have been vanquished before by men of God evoking what he calls the God protocol
- That the Qur’an provides the means and the mode for those few both to sustain themselves under – and ultimately to deal with – this tyranny by evoking the God protocol
He is aware that such a worldview is fundamentally at odds with modern conditions and conditioning. He did not set out to come to such conclusions; he simply followed the evidence where it led. He feels duty-bound to follow what is – in fact – the case, rather than what he would like to be so.
He maintains a creative portfolio at samgerrans.com and offers individual consultancy online at skypetalking.com.